Thursday, November 13, 2008

Getting Back on Level Ground


So I have been on an emotional rollercoaster of late. Between the natural sensitivity that I was born with, which believe me is a lot, and the hormones that seem to be constantly careening throughout my body (I refuse to admit that I am pre-meni but I am) and the basic foibles of life.. the roller coaster has gone haywire.

But I am forced to remember the scene from Parenthood, with Steve Martin and Mary Steenburgen where Grandma tells them how she loved the roller coaster.. how some people liked the merry go round how the stability of it's constant up and down. How they preferred it but her.. she loved the roller coaster. With it's twists and turns, careening about being thrown hither and yon.

And it made me think, is life really that bad? I have a roof over my head granted it is not the picket fence world I envisioned, I have healthy happy children.. they are strong independent individuals, the very reason they drive me nuts is because they are strong individuals. They are bright, smart and articulate and they love me.. sometimes they even respect me.. and on that rare occasion when life is perfect they like me (hey they are teenagers.. what more can I ask for?). I am healthy, I am loved and I am strong.. in the end I am lucky.

So on that note.. I trudge on recovering my balance and seeing the world as it is best viewed.. with laughter.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shauni! Though I cannot experience your rollercoaster, you are lucky to have a wonderful family! I wish you a great weekend coming up:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds as though you have a lot of good things in your life--focus on that! By the way, I love your background picture for your blog. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete