Thursday, October 20, 2011

Just Astounded

As I have previously stated my friends and I have started a book review, discussion and debate site. The three of us each bring a different perspective and talent to the table. Sandy, is an awesome researcher and can usually find information in moments..

One of the things Sandy does for the site is find interesting articles about  Romantic Vampires and what's Under the Kilt and the consequences and effects of Romantic Sex Novels Which are all very very excellent articles full of fun facts and have some very interesting responses from our followers.

BUT, yesterday Sandy posted and article entitled Do Women Read More Than Men and totally blew my mind! Not the title subject because I firmly believe that women read more than men for an entire sundry of reasons.. But one line, one line has left me dumbfounded... I would say speechless but I am writing this blog so I must have something to say about it..

Among avid readers surveyed by the AP, the typical woman read nine books in a year, compared with only five for men. Women read more than men in all categories except for history and biography.

Yes, that's right an avid reader is considered someone who reads only NINE books a year. On a good week I can do that in three days.. ok, I have to have nothing to do but read and the books have to be kinda short.. but still!! I had just had a conversation with Sandy about all the 52 books in 52 weeks programs and we called them amateurs.. and giggled.. We never knew how few people could actually accomplish such a fact.

I have spent my life as an avid reader, I do not remember a time in my life when I didn't have a book in my hands.. Many of my friends would like to forget my Tolkien years but that is an entirely different story. Books have been my treasured friends my entire life. From Dr Suess, to the Phantomn Tollbooth, to Little House on the Prairie, to Poe and Shakespeare and yes Tolkien. From Mitchner to Dumas to Feehan and Kenyon.. These books have enriched my life.
 Even as a single mother with four small kids and a full time job I found time to read!

With all that being said, I have to seriously thank Ms Rowling and Ms Meyers for writing such amazing stories that interested kids and teens.. and brought them back to reading. Because of such gifted authors, I see more children and teens reading than in several generations before! They have discovered that books are even better than movies.. and seriously, I love a good movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment