Monday, December 1, 2008

Watching the Cabinet Grow


This morning I sat and watched the press conference that President Elect Obama held on the members of his nominated cabinet. It is an amazing thing to watch the beginning of a new hope. Now don't get me wrong, I do not know if I agree with the way things are going to go. I do not know if I agree with what is going to happen but for some reason this transition has really gotten my attention.

I have been involved with the election process for almost 30 years having voted for the first time in 1980 and really never since that first election have I been this interested. It is an exciting time maybe just from an intellectual point of view but life as we know it is going to change. How? We don't know yet how the world will turn and that is exciting is it not?

One of the things that really cracks me up is the assumption that there will not be anything for late night to make fun of. Sheesh.. of course there will. Last I checked the Obamas, the Bidens and the rest of the staff are human and will make human mistakes and we will laugh. I am sure once his term is up and running we will find things that he does that we loathe. How can we not? We are a nation of individuals and for him to please all of us would be an impossibility. The mere fact that we are so desperate for our leaders to be better. To offer leadership with integrity that we accept him with such hope says so much for us. I hope we haven't set the man up for more than he can do. I hope with all our talk of his greatness that we don't forget that one man didn't get us where we are (and don't even think that just President Bush is to blame) and one man can not get us out.

But for now I will enjoy the new growth, thinking of the rose in winter life goes on and the ability to survive is astounding





No comments:

Post a Comment