Thursday, May 28, 2009

If I Could Blog Back Thursdays - Drive In Movie Theatres


TODAY'S TOPIC - DRIVE IN MOVIES....

So I have been following Lola over at Lola's Diner and I decided to play along.. If you want to join in on the fun make sure and go see Lola's Diner and sign up..



Thank you Lola for such a great topic. I think the Drive In Movie Theater played such an important part in the lives of two generations, those who came of age in the 50's and early 60's and their children. I was part of the and their children group.

My parents used to bundle up my brother and I, in our nifty little jammies and off to the Drive-In we would go. At the time they owned a 1964 Comet (which later became my first car but that is an entirely different story). Now I grew up in Southern California so we didn't deal with weather issues so much, just had a blast. I remember we would always beg to go play on the swing set, right there at the base of the screen... there was always one kid whose parents let him. We really hated that kid (yes I know the odds of it being the same kid over and over are extremely rare) . Being of the frugal sort (make that broke) my parents always brought their own treats, which included home made popcorn and drinks, please explain why it was never as good as the stuff from the theater. There was always a kiddee movie that played before the main movie it was supposed to lull us to sleep, it never did but it was a good effort. I remember this was how we went and saw All of the Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Westerns (I still love A Fist Full of Dollars) and we saw The Planet of the Apes, It took me years to realize Roddy McDowell did not look like a Monkey...

Again Lola this was a fabulous blog idea, it truly brought back some special times in my life..


2 comments:

  1. Great memory. I think we only went with our parents once, I could be wrong though. My Dad wasn't big on doing fun stuff with us. But my Mom made up for it. She used to take us to the indoor movies all the time. We saw all the Elvis Presley movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah.... the swing set. I loved the swing set.

    ReplyDelete